Saturday 21 July 2012

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions


We were in the staff bus, on the way home when a car crossed the road; not wanting the tires to touch a pool of water.  An old staff, a woman, in the bus hissed and said, ‘we are talking of cars, look at the rickety car she’s using to cause obstruction, the type of Anthony’s car’.  Anthony was a staff and was in the bus.  The microaggression happened in a neutral context; there was no form of discussion prior to the microaggression.  I felt that the target was being marginalized as the perpetrator’s statement suggested that the target was so inferior that he uses only bad things.
My observation experiences this week affect my perception of the effects of discrimination, prejudice, and/or stereotypes on people as I now have a more understanding of the feeling of humiliation it usually leaves in its trail.  I now see and feel how detrimental and damaging it is to be at the receiving end of microaggression.  In other words, there is need to be mindful of my utterances; if I imagine myself as the receiver of my utterance I would be more careful with what comes out of my mouth.
We all need to pay more attention to the way we address other people and our actions too.

No comments:

Post a Comment