Saturday 7 July 2012

My Family Culture


In this kind of situation, I know I would have to learn the culture of my host country, and learn it fast! 
The three items I would choose are:
    1. My language – since those of us remaining would be moving together and probably camped together, I would continue and also advocate for the continuous communication in our language so that our children too will continue in it while hoping that some day we would be back on our land.
    2. My religion – I would need this to continue interceding for my people and my nation because definitely it was because of this that I was spared in the first place. 
    3. My mode of dressing – this has been part of me because hardly can I put on a sleeveless top or attire and my dress must stop below my knees at most if not ankle length.  However, since I am not sure of the mode of dressing in my host country, whether they wear cloth or leaf, I would pack some clothing for myself. 
I would explain to others that the three items I have chosen – language, religion and mode of dressing – are sources of identification for us, they signify who we are and how we relate with one another.  Language, for example is a body or group of words which we as people in this same community or country, the same geographical area, or the same cultural area have been using to understand ourselves and to get along peacefully.

If upon arrival, I was told that I could only keep one personal item and give up the other two items I took with me, I would feel totally naked and thoroughly stripped of everything I am, everything I stand for; even for me taking only three items I would feel the same way.

4 comments:

  1. You took a different perspective on this assignment. I didn't even stop to consider language as something to take with me. Thanks for the perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You took an entirely different perspective than me for this assignment. I didn't even think about taking my language with me. I can see why it would be a necessity. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not think about our language but it is a very good idea. I always feel frustrated when speaking English because I cannot handle the nuances very well. This is big because I believe how we use languages is a very important factor for who we are.


    Aya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Folashade! I enjoyed reading your post. You chose 3 amazing items to carry with you to the host country. Language is so important because that is how you communicate your culture to the rest of the world. If you left your language, a huge part of your culture would be invisible. It is a great idea to share your language with other cultures!

    ReplyDelete