Saturday 14 July 2012

Perspectives on Diversity and Culture


The answers received from my colleagues on culture and diversity are as follow:
 
CULTURE:
”Culture is simply the way people behave that reflects where they are from”.
“When we talk about culture we talk about what people are made up of, like me now, my whole culture is
in me and I am full of my culture”.
“Culture means what we are individually depending on a lot of things like our upbringing; that is, family,
ethnic, environment, language and the way we speak it, the way we do a lot of things and the type
of names we bear. In fact, everything is based on culture”.
“Culture is total believe, norms, custom and tradition of a society or a group of people”.

DIVERSITY:
“Diversity means the differences in the way people behave which will affect the relationship on the long
run if care is not taken to accommodate other people’s behavior”.
“To me this could mean different ways of doing things; that is diverse ways for various people”.
“Diversity could mean the various ways people interact and react to their culture, custom and tradition in
relating with one another”.

From the answers I received, all the aspects of culture and diversity that I have studied in this course are included.  For example, culture is said to include behavior of people, the generality of who people are, people’s upbringing, language being spoken and the mode of speaking, norms and tradition of a group of people.  Diversity is said to be the differences in people’s behavior, the way they act and react to issues around them in their relationship with one another.

I could not get any omitted aspect of culture and diversity that I have studied in this course as all aspects are included in the definitions I received.

Thinking about other people’s definitions of culture and diversity has influenced my own thinking about these topics in the sense that I now have a better understanding that these topics are truly vast and very wide; the topics can be defined by many people in many ways and meaning the same thing.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these definitions. It is very telling that the perspectives of culture and diversity are world-wide. A lot of the terms are similar to what I heard. I am glad you captured the phrase, "custom and tradition of a society or group." I am afraid that these are not honored as they used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Folashade,
    I enjoyed reading your post and seeing the colorful expressions shared from your interviewers. I also appriciate the diversity that you bring in this class coming from another country. I think that it is so important to share every aspect of our culutre to educate and enlighten those around us.

    ReplyDelete