Saturday 13 April 2013

Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community: Internationally


The three international organizations or communities of practice that appealed to me are: 1) United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF).  I chose this organization because of it focus on the survival and development of children in the areas of health, nutrition, immunization, malaria and advocacy & partnership.  Of special interest to me is the interest in basic education and gender equality for children.  This is of interest to me because it links my challenge as it focuses on prioritizing education in early childhood, providing equitable access while monitoring the quality of education. Developing of child friendly schools is also a focus of the organization, I found this inspiring as most schools today are not child friendly, and teachers are not as warm and welcoming as they should.  2) The International Step by Step Association (ISSA) is another organization that appeals to me for its quality care and education for all children, especially in their early years of life.  The aspect that caught my admiration was the inclusion of children with special needs now so when they “become policy makers and architects, they will shape the world with their own hands…..make this world acceptable for all…..learn to ignore differences…..learn to treat all people fairly”, including those of different races or culture. 3) Save the children is an independent organization that focuses on creating lasting change in the lives of needy children around the world.  This organization collaborates with communities to make children and families find help within themselves.  It is of interest to me because the organization is quick to respond to children needs when there is any disaster by providing food, medical care and education, it also helps in the rebuilding of disaster struck communities through long-term recovery programs.  

The current available jobs that interest me in UNICEF are 1) Human Resources Assistant (Payroll), G-6, DHR, New York, although I feel that this might not get me directly working with the children.  I would need to have competencies in HR, dealing with people, especially difficult people. 2) Deputy Representative - P-5, Nigeria, Abuja.  This has to do with the designing and implementing of advocacy strategies towards promoting public awareness of UN-supported program and goals, while collaborating with Regional Advisers and HQ Officers for overall coordination.  I would need to have competency in advocacy, good communication skills, passion, with excellent promotion strategy in order to acquaint the public with the organization’s programs. 

I could not find any job opportunity from ISSA website, but I feel that the organization would need people to spread the word about the organization and what they do, I would like to feature in this.  The required skills and experience would equally be good communication skills, passion, and advocacy. 

Job opportunities for Save the Children organization abound and could be found under the tag “Take Action”.  I intend to join the volunteer group, advocate for children, spreading the word, and donating.  In all of these, passion is an essential skill required and very good communication skills.
References
International Step By Step Association. (n.d.). Retrieved November 28, 2011, from http://www.issa.nl/index.html
United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF). (n.d.). Retrieved November 28, 2011, from http://www.unicef.org/

3 comments:

  1. Hi Folashade!

    I really enjoyed reading your post. I'm also interested in the various job opportunities on the 'Save the Children' organization's website. In fact, the opening for a Human Resource Assistant sounds pretty appetizing! The best part of exploring these organizations and websites is knowing that they offer a wealth of valuable information about helping children and families around the world! Great Post Folashade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Folashade,

    I have enjoyed reading your post concerning the different organzations. Did you have one in particular that interest you the most? I have reserached the UNICEF alot and they have lots of information concerning early childhood development. Thanks for sharing this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also noticed that passion and communication skills were assets required to be successful at jobs in these international communities of practice. I enjoyed reading your post- we had very similar findings in our search this week!

    ReplyDelete