Saturday 15 September 2012

Communication Skills: Language, Nonverbal, Listening


The episode of a television show I recorded was titled “Tears Again”.  Watching the show with the sound turned off, I though the characters’ relationships were king and subject based on the ways in which they were communicating as I observed a show of dangerous anger on the man that dressed like a king while the lady was just shedding tears and seemed to be begging for forgiveness.

Based on the nonverbal behavior I observed, I saw a feeling and expression of anger and hatred with annoyance on the man that dressed like a king and a feeling and expression of weakness, total surrender and hurt on the lady that I thought could be one of the king’s subject.

Now with the sound turned on, the assumption I made about the characters and plot based on the way in which I interpreted the communication I observed was that the lady was one of the king’s subjects.

I believe that my assumptions would have been more correct if I had been watching a show that I know well.

What I learned about communication from this experience is that assumption in communication could lead to misjudgment and thereby causing negative communication based on wrong impression.  I also learned that we should be slow to conclude on issues that we are not familiar with.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I agree with you. This assignment made me think of how I should not jump to conclusions when unfamiliar things happen. We can become better communicators if we use all of our senses to undrstand others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Folashade! Your example demonstrates how easy it is to misunderstand what people may be thinking or saying. Effective communication goes beyond talking and includes a mutual understanding between those involved in the conversation. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete