Friday 21 September 2012

Communication and Culture

Yes I communicate differently with people from different groups and cultures.
I communicate differently with each of the different groups that I mentioned; they are, Choristers (singles and married men and women of diverse cultural background - professionals), Teenagers (boys and girls of age 13 to 19, from diverse cultural background), and Workers - in – Training (singles and married men and women of diverse cultural background).
The first strategy I could you to help me communicate more effectively with the groups I have identified is good listening skills and a show of genuine interest.  Active listening helps to resolve issues timely and effectively.  Another strategy is to capture people’s names correctly and use it often during the cause of communication.  This creates a warmly atmosphere that makes the other person feel at ease.  I will also be watchful so that I am not the only person doing the talking, I will allow others make their contributions too so that they feel as being a part of the conversation and not just listening and carrying out instruction.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Folashade!
    Learning the correct usage of the person's name is very important because it shows that we are attentive and culturally responsive as effective communicators. Allowing others to speak will make it easier for both parties to contribute to the conversation. I enjoyed learning about your experiences with culture and communication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Folashade,

    Yes, a big factor is to show genuine interst in the other person or people. This can be done through verbal and non verbal communication. Seems that you are an effective communicator with this diverse group you work with. Thanks for sharing your communication strategies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Folashade,

    Sounds like you have a good idea on how to effectivly communicate with your target audeince. Thank you for sharing your strategies. It is always a good idea to encourage other to speak so that you have time to listen and observe once you are taken out of the spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Folashade,

    Thank You for sharing a great post!!! I agree that learning the correct pronunciation of a persons name shows that you are paying attention and warms the atmosphere. But i also think that it shows respect. My name is not easy to pronounce, and many people have asked "can I just call you this", which I think is very disrespectful.

    ReplyDelete