Friday 10 August 2012

Welcoming Families From Around the World


The name of the family’s country of origin is Ghana.

In order to know more than surface facts about the immigrants’ country of origin, the five different ways in which I will prepare myself to be culturally responsive towards this family are: 1. I will try to learn some simple welcoming words in their language, and knowing how and when to use them; 2. I will learn what the family values are in order to know how to support; 3. I will try to know about the family gender roles so as not to misplace priority when addressing the family; 4. I will try to know the showing of emotion in the family so that i would conform when showing sympathy or empathy to the family; and 5. I will learn the family’s idea about being on time and speaking up in group.

I hope that these preparations will benefit both the family and myself because i will be able to include the cultural norms in the class curricula and involve other pupils in the understanding of the new culture.  This inclusion will make the family welcomed and be ready to participate in the growing up of their children.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Folashade,
    I too, included some simple welcoming words and phrases. I think this is very important because it does show you are interested in their culture and how to communicate with them.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Folashade,

    Learning words of the family’s language sounds basic but I believe it is the easiest part of a language and showing interest in a language and culture is a very effective way to show you want to help the family. From my experiences, the distance with a person gets much closer when I find out the person knows Japanese words and try to use them. I think it is because I can feel that the person tries not to push his or her way in our relationship from it.

    Aya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Folashade,

    I did not think of learning some of the families language and I believe that this is a great idea. Learning about the family gender role is also important when communicating with families when establishing relationships. All of the things that you mentioned seems to be beneficial when welcoming a new family.

    ReplyDelete